Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentines: My Thoughts On Love

Valentines is soon approaching. The day where some of us celebrate, while others hate the date. :)

Here are some of my thoughts on love

  • Searching for Love: Nobody ever found love by searching for it. Love is something that finds you. No one can plan to "be in love." In fact, the only thing they can plan to do is what to do with that love once it finds them.
  • Falling easily: Nobody "falls" into love. It's a growing process that results by letting go. A more appropriate term would be, "I let myself love."
  • Love at first Sight: I do believe you can be smitten at first sight. It is magic when you feel it happen, but it's like what Amy Bloom said, "it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle."
  • Courage to Love: Love is an act of faith. To give a piece of yourself willingly to another is at the core of the human experience. It yields the greatest happiness but unfortunately can yield the greatest sorrow. Mohandas Gandhi said it best by saying, "A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave."
  • Lucky in Love: Do you ever notice how some people just keep falling in love and it seems to you that they are "lucky?" Love is a choice, a choice that requires decision moment to moment. The reason why some find love is because they choose to love others first. As Arthur Rubenstien said, "Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." And even more notably The Beatles said in their hit song, The End, "And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."
  • I can tell who you are by love: Show me who you love and I will tell you what kind of person you are.
  • Love is a gift: "Love cures people -- both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it.", said Karl Menniger. Do you have those friends or family who's presence just seems to heal your sorrows and worries? And they aren't even aware they do it? It's their love. It's easy to see if someone love you. The evidence is in there words, their actions, their thoughts, their kiss, and their smile. Think about it when they aren't around and see how you feel when your with them.
  • Love gives us cause to act: The Savior Jesus said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." Or in other words, "If you love me I already know you'll be obedient." Love is what God wants us to obtain. Aren't the two great commandments to Love God and Love you Neighbor? If we do all other commandments fall into place and are easier to obey. Love give us impossible strength to accomplish miracles. In my mind faith is just another word for love
  • Finally, I echo the words of Gandhi when he said, "Where there is love there is life." So on valentines I hope you feel alive in love. :)

0 comments: